Progress with the Restoration of PK2613

Update No 6

(1928 Trojan 3 Door Tourer ex Joe Pidgeon)

In January 2013 with winter lingering on, my three day working week in a warm office seemed quite attractive and continued until the end of March. Finally with project design almost complete and the job moving on to site, I was glad to celebrate my second retirement with a visit to Devon and my 67th birthday.

Back at home work resumed on the Trojan and with the help of John Hancock the engine and gearbox were installed in May. After enlisting the services of Shaun, a carpenter and joiner who had previous experience of constructing an ash frame for a Morgan, work on the rear body commenced. The remains of the original bodywork were dismantled for use as templates and a quantity of seasoned ash ordered from a local sawmill. After what seemed an age, but in fact was only three weeks, the sawn and planed ash sections were collected and work began on recreating the rear body.

While Trojan progress took a back seat and missing the original completion date for a working Trojan by a mile, I decided that PK 2613 had to attend our Centenary celebrations on 18th August. Borrowing a trailer from my neighbour and fitting a winch, my Trojan was hauled aboard and with insurance provided by Hagerty we set out for Croydon. The photograph below shows us in the centre of the group who attended in the Toys R Us car park off Purley Way, Croydon (site of the Trojan factory) with ten Trojans in attendance.

Toys R Us car park off Purley Way, Croydon (site of the Trojan factory)

A detailed inspection of the original frame revealed that while the base sections were straight from front to back, the doors and door frames were constructed as compound curves and also had to match the shape of the front scuttle. Ash timber has the surprising property that it can be bent to form curved sections with the use of a steam kettle and clamps. The rear corner posts were also curved and had painted exposed wood corner sections between the side and rear panels. By the end of August the body frame was largely complete and awaiting a metal skin and painting, however a visit from the panel beater exposed a number of deficiencies with the door fit including worn hinge pins and variations in the clearances between doors and frames which would be magnified by fitting skin panels.