Progress with the Restoration of PK2613

(1928 Trojan 3 Door Tourer ex Joe Pidgeon)

Update No 7 – January 2014

With another winter making work in the garage an unattractive prospect the new induction pipe and carburettor were fitted. While this certainly solved the space and accessibility problems further difficulties now presented themselves. The carburettor had been rotated by 90 degrees and the linkages for the throttle and mixture controls required redesign. The throttle linkage proved to be relatively simple to modify and the original crank and pinned rod was easily adapted. The mixture control was a much more severe test of ingenuity.

The original linkage ran from a lever on the steering column, down the column to emerge at low level under the bonnet. From here a pair of cranks and a rod transferred the motion to a horizontal shaft running back horizontally into the punt and via a further crank and lever to connect the carburettor. With the carburettor re–located it was necessary to reposition the horizontal shaft along a revised centre line requiring a new rear bearing and support.

At this point one was sorely tempted to substitute a modern Bowden cable but this was not how Houndsfield had designed the linkage. I retreated indoors and got out my Meccano set which had lain unloved and abandoned for many years. It was a relatively easy matter to construct a model which showed that a suitable displacement could be transferred from steering column to carburettor and where joints were required. The linkage was assembled with a temporary bracket constructed from various angle pieces with temporary bolts. Having demonstrated its viability a permanent support bracket was fabricated and bolted into place on the pedal support beam.

It was now March and the Devon coast to coast walk intervened closely followed by Easter and the TOC AGM. Life then returned to a more peaceful normality and with the carburettor and primer installed I started to tackle the fuel pipes from the tank to the carburettor, primer and transfer ports. While copper pipe was not a problem fittings compatible with the Amec carburettor and primer were unobtainable and modern fittings were adapted. Where flexibility was required hoses suitable for use with ethanol were used and finally a cycling friend offered to silver solder the end connections.

With high summer arriving at Steeple Morden my thoughts turned to electrical matters. Joe had restored the original Miller dynamo which was a six volt three brush model rated at 10 amps. Unfortunately the cut–out was missing and “Miller cut–outs are as rare as hen’s teeth” I was told. Apart from Trojans they were fitted to various motor cycles including Velocettes. Searches on e–bay uncovered the occasional unit but at around £60 for an item in poor condition and with no guarantee that it would work; I decided on an alternative solution, Smartpower, a firm in Rugby proposed conversion of the dynamo to two brush operation in conjunction with a modern solid state regulator which could be mounted in a period box. This would provide a variable power output matched to the electrical demand from the ignition and lights. (The original three brush arrangement produced a constant output dependant on the position of the third brush). In July the dynamo was delivered to Rugby and in August

it arrived back complete with its regulator in a Lucas box.

Morning glories at the garage door (Grove House)

A number of parts were taken to a Letchworth plating company for stripping, polishing and nickel plating, completion was promised in October. In spite of regular visits and telephone calls completion is still awaited and they are now promised for the second week in January.

My lathe has come into its own with the manufacture of olives, door hinge pins and refurbishing the hood pivot pins and frame supports. Here under layers of black paint the original grey body colour was exposed. Between times work on the body continued, missing body support brackets were fabricated and drilled for fixing and the punt flooring was retrieved from storage and repaired with ash to replace some worm–eaten originals. A central body support strut was found which had previously been overlooked when this was installed stiffness of the body sides was much improved. In spite of wood worm treatment, a week later dust was found beneath it; it was hastily removed and a replacement made. As the top edge was a compound curve, a band saw was required and the material was upgraded from soft wood to mahogany.

In late October an e–mail from Carl to say the club had been offered a Trojan enamel sign sent me venturing deep into Suffolk countryside to find Waltham–le–Willows where a garage turn–out had produced an original Leyland advertising sign. After an hours’ discussion, the promise of a good home for the sign (not in a gastro pub or boutique clothes store) and a tutorial on the history of the Leyland Trojan I was able to purchase the sign for the Trojan Owners’ Club.

Progress in 2014 has not been dramatic but numerous small problems have been overcome and the way forward in 2015 is much clearer when hopefully the engine will run even if the body is not quite complete.

The Trojan enamel sign recovered from Walsham–le–Willows

Christopher Tordoff

Steeple Morden,

January 2015.